Environmental Health:


Did You Know?

New Brunswick geology is high in uranium, which emits radon gas.



Radon comes from uranium based rock.

It is an invisible, odorless gas that can seep into your home through cracks in floors, walls and foundations. You can’t see, smell or taste radon, but it may be a problem in your home.

Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in Canada. Radon gas is radioactive. It decays quickly, giving off tiny radioactive particles. When inhaled, these radioactive particles can damage the cells that line the lung. Long-term exposure to radon can lead to lung cancer.

1 in 4 New Brunswick homes experience dangerous levels of radon gas.

Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in Canada (after smoking).
If you live in a building with high radon levels or if you spend a lot of time in one, you are at higher risk for lung cancer.

If you smoke and you live in a home with a high level of radon, you are at an even higher risk for lung cancer.

“It is really important to understand about radon, because of course this kind of cancer is entirely preventable. “

Sue Rickards

Read Sue's Story (Faces of Lung Disease)

To test for radon, buy a radon detector from NB Lung or your local hardware store. Just be sure to get a long- term radon test.

How to read your test results:

Radon is measured in becquerels per cubic metre (Bq/m3).


If your home’s radon level is less than 200 Bq/m3, Health Canada radon guidelines say that no action is required.


However, even low levels of radon can be harmful. It’s a good idea to try to lower your home’s radon level as much as possible, even if it’s already below 200 Bq/m3.


If your home’s radon level is between 200 and 600 Bq/m3, you should repair your home in the next two years.


If your home’s radon level is over 600 Bq/m3, you should repair your home within one year.

Reduce radon levels in your home

To lower the radon level, you need to hire a contractor to:

1) Figure out where the radon is coming in and 2) Complete repairs to block it from coming in

Find a trained contractor with experience in radon mitigation:

You should hire an experienced, reputable contractor to mitigate your home.

Visit the Canadian National Radon Proficiency Program (C-NRPP) website, or contact them at 1 800 269 4174.

Page Last Updated: 28/02/2023